Some Activities for Tall Pines Families and Kids
1. Watch all the Tall Pines Videos under "Gallery" Keep a tally for # of each species of fish you spot for each video! There are more videos on YouTube if want an extra challenge.
2. Color the fishing and Canada coloring pages- Have your family vote on their favorite, and then submit (Have a parent take a picture then email to us) to see on future blog!
3. Create your own drawing that captures the one-of-a-kind experience of being at Tall Pines. Have a parent email picture of it!
4. Go on a neighborhood walk or look in your backyard to discover things found in nature that are similar to being up at Tall Pines, and things that are not found at Tall Pines. Make a T-chart to document your findings- which side has more?
5. Make your own fishing game out of materials from around the house. You could even use walleye and pike from previous coloring pages and award point values for each species "caught". Feel free to get creative with it by marking off a Wabaskang Lake area in your home! Then challenge everyone in your family to a fishing contest! Click here for easy tutorial
6. Start planning out your trip: Help Mom and Dad make a list of what to pack, sort out your tacklebox, make a list of food and games/books you want to bring, and plan where on the Wabaskang you want to cast! Using the map on Fishing Page as a reference, draw your own version of Wabaskang with stars on where you want to go; don't forget to mark where Tall Pines is!
7. It takes 10,000 casts to master the craft. Get an early start practicing casting in your backyard! Place a hoola hoop/jumprope or some kind of target a set distance away and cast your fishing rod (use a practice weight on end- no hooks!). Try and land weight in target zone. Change distance and challenge family members to best out of 20 contests!
8. Research one of the main species found in the Wabaskang: Walleye, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Jumbo Perch, Crappie, or Lake Trout. Present your findings creatively: mobile hanger, Powerpoint, Video, Paper, write a song, dioramma, or however else you choose- share with us if you can!
9. Making videos seems to be popular right now- create your own Tall Pines Camp commercial! Be as original and fun as possible (background music? script cards? a jingle?) Submit to us via email to possibly be added to the web-site and featured on our Facebook Page!